All 7th and 8th grade middle school students may participate in the following activities:
Fall sports include: Volleyball, Football and Cross Country
Winter sports include: Wrestling, Girls and Boys Basketball
Spring sports include: Boys and Girls Track
- The main emphasis in the middle school is on accommodating as many interested boys and girls in the activities program as possible. Following this axiom, “A” and “B” games or contests will be scheduled as possible.
- The Middle School Activities Program, whenever possible, shall operate within the middle school. Exceptions will be in those sports which are not available at the middle school level, such as baseball and softball for students who have finished the 8th grade.
- Emphasis in athletics in grade 7 and 8 shall be on teaching the rules and fundamentals of the game. Competitive contests with other schools shall be scheduled in grades seven and eight.
Student Participation Policy
Students at the Maquoketa Middle School who become involved in our activity program share in the responsibility of being at practice when it is scheduled. Thus, to be fair to all students, the following rules will now apply to all activities unless a separate policy is developed by the sponsor and approved by the activity director prior to the start of the activity.
- Excused absences (i.e. doctor, dental appointments or family emergencies, etc.) should be discussed with your coach or sponsor BEFORE the absence whenever possible.
- The FIRST UNEXCUSED ABSENCE from a scheduled practice will result in the student being responsible to contact the coach or sponsor and discuss their absence.
- The SECOND UNEXCUSED ABSENCE will result in the student being withheld from the next scheduled game, meet, or performance.
- The THIRD UNEXCUSED ABSENCE will result in dismissal of the student from the activity.
There is also the possibility of students missing a performance or game. If UNEXCUSED, the student must:
- Contact the coach or sponsor and discuss the problems and confusion caused by their absence. They will also be withheld from the next scheduled meet, game, or performance.
- Any further absence from a practice or performance will result in their dismissal from the activity.
- EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED: Will be determined by coach or instructor. (Clothing should be washed regularly.)
- INSURANCE & PHYSICAL: All athletes must show evidence of insurance, obtain a physical at a physician of their choice and returned a signed conduct code before they participate. Forms are available in the middle school office.
- PRACTICE: Practices will be held between 3:30 and 5:15 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Morning practices, beginning no earlier than 6:45, are also scheduled. An occasional Saturday practice may be scheduled. No practices will be scheduled on Wednesday nights and Sundays.
- SQUAD MEMBERSHIP: The squad will not be cut because of a player’s ability. All athletes will compete as fully as possible in the program.
- SHOWERS: Showers are available for participants.
- ATTITUDE: Never tell anyone how good you are–show them. Work on your weakness during all free time. Athletes must have an attitude of cooperation and team work with school personnel, coaches and fellow athletes.
- LOCKER ROOMS:
* All personal belongings should be kept in a LOCKED locker at all times. We cannot be responsible for articles left outside of a locked locker.
* Be respectful of other people’s belongings. Turn lost and found items in to the teacher.
* Keep your locker space clean and neat.
*The restroom area should be free of toilet paper and paper towels.
* Use your inside voice in the locker room.
* No climbing over top of the lockers.
* Wait to be dismissed from the locker room until the bell rings.
- DIET: An athlete participating in an active athletic program should maintain a regular and well-balanced diet. They should avoid consuming large amounts of candy, pop, pastries, etc.
Any student disqualified from an interscholastic contest by game officials for flagrant, violent, or verbal misconduct will be ineligible for the next regular scheduled game/meet at that level of competition plus all other games/meets in the interim at any level of competition, in addition to any other penalties the IHSAA or Maquoketa Schools may assess.
The second violation will result in a four game/meet automatic ineligibility.
Athletic Participation Requirement
Any student that desires to participate in any of the interscholastic athletic activities must have a physical (good for one calendar year), provide proof of insurance coverage, and have a signed conduct code on file in the office. Students may not practice or participate in contests without fulfilling these responsibilities. Forms for these are available at registration or in the Middle School office.